Paris Jackson, the 15-yr-old daughter of the late superstar Michael Jackson was hospitalized yesterday, after an apparent suicide attempt.
Multiple sources are reporting that Jackson cut her wrists with a kitchen knife and took as many as 20 ibuprofen pills. Family spokesperson Sandra Ribera released a statement:
Being a sensitive 15-year-old is difficult no matter who you are. It is especially difficult when you lose the person closest to you. Paris is physically fine and is getting appropriate medical attention. Please respect her privacy and the family’s privacy.
2. It is found in products such as:
3. Ibuprofen overdose has become common since it was licensed for over the counter use, although the frequency of life-threatening complications from ibuprofen overdose is low.
4. Symptoms of ibuprogen overdose include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, tinnitus (ringing sound in the ears), and nystagmus (involuntary jerky movement of the eyes).
5. Rarely, more severe symptoms, such as gastrointestinal bleeding, seizures, metabolic abnormalities, high potassium, low blood pressure, abnormally slow or fast heart rate, atrial fibrillation, coma, abnormal liver function, acute kidney failure, cyanosis (turning blue), respiratory depression, and cardiac arrest have been reported
6. Treatment is largely symptomatic.
7. In cases presenting early, gastric decontamination is recommended. This is achieved using activated charcoal, which adsorbs the drug before it can enter the systemic circulation.
We hope Paris is getting the help she obviously needs. Being a teenager is hard enough. But living in the maelstrom of the Jackson family can no doubt, be overwhelming.