Ailments of the Aging Rock Star: Steven Tyler Bathroom Accident Edition

Well, Steven Tyler has done it again!

Earned another spot in our “Ailments of the Aging Rock Star” series.

This time, the Aerosmith frontman slipped in the shower in a hotel in Paraguay. The 63-year-old  was taken to La Costa medical center in Paraguay’s capital, Asuncion. He received stitches to his face and had emergency dental work after breaking two teeth.
According to spokesperson Marcelo Antunez:

Mr. Tyler had a small accident that prevents him from staging the concert tonight….He is fine, he’s in his hotel but he’s not able to do the concert.

It is also reported that Tyler food poisoning may have played a role in the fall. Tyler was suffering gastrointestinal problems and may have been dehydrated prior to his fall.

In July 2009,  Tyler fell off the stage during a concert at the famed Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.  At that time, Tyler suffered minor head and neck injuries as well as a shoulder injury.

The bathroom is the most dangerous room of the house!

People can slip and fall on wet surfaces, be scalded by hot water, get electrocuted from appliances, drown in the tub or accidentally poison themselves with chemicals. There are about 200,000 bathroom accidents per year, nearly 70 percent of all home accidents!

How to prevent bathroom accidents?

  • Make sure the bathroom floor is not wet (even shower mist can make a tile floor slippery) by putting nonskid bathroom mats by the tub and sinks.
  • Minimize moisture by opening the window a crack or using an exhaust fan
  • Use a plastic bath mat or have a built-in, non-slip textured surface inside the tub/shower
  • Make sure all electrical outlets in the bathroom are properly grounded and keep electric appliances away from sources of water.
  • Replace, remodel or protect sharp-edged or sharp-cornered furniture and accessories in the bathroom. They become additional points of injury in a slipping situation.
  • Add handrails around toilets and in showers, for people who may need extra stability.
  • Make sure hot water heater settings on are not set above 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures above this can cause burns within a matter of seconds, especially in children.

Have you ever sustained an injury in the bathroom? What happened?

Michele R. Berman, M.D. was Clinical Director of The Pediatric Center, a private practice on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. from 1988-2000, and was named Outstanding Washington Physician by Washingtonian Magazine in 1999. She was a medical internet pioneer having established one of the first medical practice websites in 1997. Dr. Berman also authored a monthly column for Washington Parent Magazine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Real Time Analytics Google Analytics Alternative